Friday, October 29, 2010

SpringOne 2010: Groovy and Concurrency

I spent the second-last week of October at SpringOne 2GX 2010 in Chicago and I thought some of you might get something useful out of my notes. These aren’t my complete reinterpretations of every slide, but just things I jotted down that I thought were interesting enough to remember or look into further.

Groovy and Concurrency
presented by Paul King

Paul by started by mentioning a library called Functional Java which, to me, looks like an attempt at porting a bunch of ideas present in Scala over to Java, and another one called Kilim, which is an Actors library for Java.

Paul said that his main argument for why you should use Groovy, rather than Scala or Clojure, is that Groovy is closer to the Java syntax and, hence, is more easily integrated with Java. (In my personal experience, I can’t say I’ve ever had any problems integrating Java with Scala. Going the other way (using Scala in Java) has some gotchas, but wouldn't be described as hard.)

Groovy supports a very nifty pipe (‘|’) operator extension to the java.lang.Process class, allowing you to easily pipe stdout to stdin between two or more processes, just like in a shell.

I've now heard Google Collections (now part of the Guava libraries) mentioned for about the 5th time this week. I really should check out what these are because they’re very popular!

Groovy supports adding functions to classes, and even individual objects, at runtime. That is, your code can contain statements that add members to an existing type. This is not creating an inline definition of a new type, but actually changing the type at runtime, as you might do in JavaScript. They call this Dynamic Groovy. I've never really got my head around why meta-programming - programs that write programs (and then run them) - is a good idea, but I've also read Paul Graham saying that this feature gave him a major competitive advantage, so there must be something mind-bending about it. Perhaps I just need to give it a try?

Groovy has an @Immutable annotation that, as well as making the contained fields final (without you declaring them so), is also shorthand for adding getters, toString(), hashCode() and equals() to a class based on just the field names and types. Case classes in Scala provide the same functionality along with the added bonus of making pattern matching simple.

He mentioned two Java concurrency libraries, one called Jetlang for message-based concurrency (the Jetlang site itself refers to Jetlang being similar to Scala's Actors) and JPPF, a grid-computation library. The JPPF intro uses domain language similar to that of Spring Batch, with regards to jobs and tasks.

He talked a bit about GPars (short for Groovy Parallel Systems), a concurrency library specifcally for Groovy.

He also said that shared transactional memory looked interesting but didn’t go into it much beyond mentioning the Multiverse library. I have seen this term bandied around a little, in particular due to a couple of people attempting to implement it in Scala, but I've never looked into it - it's frequency hasn't yet punched through my signal/noise filter.

He gave a little preview of what the GPars guys are trying to achieve with a “Dataflows” library. You use a DSL to describe a dependency graph between steps in your (complex, but parallelisable) algorithm and Dataflows will automatically run in parallel those parts of the algorithm that are not dependent, synchronising at the points where multiple asynchronous outputs are required to enter the next step.

Want to learn more?

From Amazon...



From Book Depository...


No comments:

Post a Comment